Regulations for the Green Innovation Slam 2018
The Green Innovation Slam 2018 is a business competition designed to encourage and support innovations in the food value chain of wheat & faba bean. The competition is targeting any businesses and organisations with innovative ideas in this sector.
The Green Innovation Center is the Organiser of this competition, in close collaboration with iceaddis IT Consultancy PLC as the implementing partner. It is the intention of the Organiser that the competition should support and promote innovations in the wheat and faba bean value chain
2. Terms and conditions of entry
Entry to the competition is free and open to all natural persons and organisations:
- In the age of 18 years or over on the date of submission
- Resident of Ethiopia
- Have a registered business
Participants may compete as a consortium, in which case they must appoint a representative; however, each team member must be identified individually. Awards given to a consortium or an organisation shall be split among its members.
By entering this competition the participants agree to the regulations of the Green Innovation Slam 2018.
Please find further information on the “Green Innovation Centre - Ethiopia” fact sheet and on the competitions website: www.innovation-slam.com
Submissions must address one of the four competition categories:
- Nutrition & Consumer Market: We are looking for businesses that want to enter the market with new or improved products or innovations in food processing for food security and healthy eating.
- Information & Communication Technologies: Are you using or planning on developing technologies that assist in supply chain management, standardization, quality management, distribution or market data?
- Equipment & Machinery: Does your innovative product increase productivity, ease maintenance or substitute imports?
- Newcomer & Startups: If you are working on a scalable business idea and can prove traction and are established in the last 2 years - apply here!
4. Submission of projects
The Green Innovation Slam 2018 is a 2 stage competition. Phase 1 is open to all interested businesses and organisations registered in Ethiopia. The entries will be shortlisted to participate in Phase 2 in order to specify concept details and refine presentation materials.
We welcome innovations still in the idea stage but they must relate to the particular value proposition of the business or organisation. As this is an idea competition, participants are requested to only submit ideas that have not been published or marketed in any country. Ideas can only be submitted through the competition’s website. The submission should include a detailed description:
- What is your existing business model?
- What challenge is your innovation addressing? Please refer to one of the four challenges described above.
- How does your concept increase your market potential?
- Describe your target group. Who will benefit from your idea?
- Describe your idea. How does it work? What inputs, materials, systems and methods do you use? What activities for piloting are foreseen? What are the intended outputs and outcomes of your innovation?
4.1 Languages for submission:
The participants can submit their entries in one the official competition languages: English, Amharic, Afaan Oromo.
4.2 Phase I - Submission deadline November 11th:
Submissions should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org until November 11th, 10:00pm (international time) or 4:00 pm (Ethiopian time) in the East African Time Zone and include:
- Profile: name, telephone, email, contact address
- Participants may submit their entries in the format of:
- Document: Maximum 2 pages text and optional maximum 2 pages pictures/illustrations, A4 PDF or Word Document, based on the template attached.
4.3 Phase II - Submission deadline December 9th:
Shortlisted entries will be notified in order to receive further instruction and training opportunities to prepare for submission of Phase 2:
- Revised concept
- Implementation plan
- Graphical illustration of the concept or photos
- Due diligence form
4.4 Special provisions
Projects which have already been published or are similar to projects of other persons or are in production or are already on the market will not be accepted.
Compliance of submitted projects with these criteria will be verified as far as possible prior to presentation to the Jury.
The competition Organisers cannot be held responsible for late submissions due to network problems.
5 The Jury
The Jury is composed of well-known specialists in the respective fields.
The President will be elected by members of the Jury from amongst their number. A detailed list of members will be available on the competition website before the deadline for submission.
The Jury will meet in December 2018 to nominate the winners of phase II in the 4 categories.
The Jury's deliberations will be documented. The decision will be determined by simple majority. The Jury’s decisions are made independently, are supreme and beyond dispute.
6. Project assessment criteria
- Compliance with the character of the competition
- Innovative aspect
- Added value for target groups
- Findings on Due Diligence
Awards for traveling to Germany and expert support for prototyping will be distributed in each category. The awards can only be disbursed with the participation in the support programme.
The Jury may, at its discretion, give honourable mentions and split the prizes. In any event, the awards will be distributed fully.
Prizes shall only be awarded in the form prescribed here and their use will be supervised by the Organisers. They are non-transferable and non-exchangeable.
8. Announcement of results and presentation of awards
The winners will be informed within one week after submission of Phase II by the organisers or iceaddis.
The public announcement of the winners will be made at an event in December 2018. Details of the awards ceremony will be published in due course on the competition website.
Employees and elected representatives of iceaddis, GIZ as well as members of the Jury and their families are not eligible for this competition.
10. Rights and obligations
10.1 - of the competition Organisers
The competition Organisers will consider the submitted projects with the utmost care.
The Organisers will not answer any questions about the participants or their entries nor about the identity of the competition winners before the results have been officially published.
All personal information will be treated as confidential.
After the Jury’s decision, the competition Organisers may use images of the prize-winning submissions, disclose information about them and exhibit them for non-commercial purposes with the name(s) of the project creator(s) duly indicated.
The Organisers shall not be liable if the competition mentioned herein is delayed, curtailed, altered or cancelled due to force majeure.
10.2 - of the participants
Participation in the competition implies full acceptance of the rules herein and the participant's full and unmitigated agreement with the results without recourse.
Winning participants shall retain their inalienable intellectual property right. The publication rights in section 10.1 shall not be affected. With submission for Phase II, they declare themselves to be the sole creators of their project and that they hold all the rights pertaining to their ideas, and have also made appropriate provision for the rights of any third parties.
The Organiser shall not be liable for damage that might be caused by the competition entries, nor for possible violations of rights of third parties.
The participants are responsible in its full extent for the integrity of stated information.
Any arising issues regarding the application and/or interpretation of the regulations herein shall be settled irrevocably with the Organiser.
In the event of an irresolvable disagreement regarding the application or interpretation of the rules herein and in the absence of an amicable settlement, the dispute shall fall under the jurisdiction of the responsible administrative courts. Any dispute with regard to the competition set forth herein is to be lodged within the legal time limit.
12. Further information
The competition rules and further information are available under:
iceaddis will reply to enquiries through: